Thursday, August 25, 2011

Miracles still happen.

I am beginning this post about 9:00pm, 24th August 
and I must apologize in advance. These past 3 days
have been very chaotic and my poor old head
isn't what it used to be. {:o(


I'll do my best to be orderly and chronological as
seen from my perspective.
As I was nearing Ramah on Monday, at the end of
my weekly circumnavigation of the Zuni
Mountains, my cell phone rang and Carmen was
on the other end telling me that Lester had been hurt
and was going to Zuni by ambulance and we needed 
to go there as soon as possible.
I hurriedly dumped Ramah Care Centers
groceries and picked up Carmen and headed to Zuni (actually Blackrock Hospital.)
    Ramah's ambulance was backed up to the emergency
entrance and inside we were not allowed to go
in the room where Lester was. He had fallen from their
balcony above the patio and hit his head on the
concrete slab. Our first thoughts were that maybe
his neck was broken and that we would loose another
of our children. Inside the DRs and EMTs were
working to stabilize him, a heli-vac was not an 
option due to his size (6'4" limit) so we waited on an
airplane to arrive. X-rays were taken and he was
given a drug to paralyze him so he wouldn't move
while being transported. A breathing tube was inserted
and a portable ventilator attached. After 1 1/2 eternities,
during which we tried to find out how Cal and his
father-in-law were doing, we could see an x-ray on
the opposite wall of his room. The film clearly showed
the abnormal condition of his chest, which he has had since birth, and we learned about at his age of 11.
We motioned to the ER DR and told him about that
condition. He was relieved to know it was not
part of the trauma and they didn't have to waste
time on trying to deal with it too. 
We were eventually allowed to go in the room
and see him. I had left so hurriedly that my oil was
at home in my suit pocket. After a few calls by
one of Ramah's EMT's a Brother Anderson
arrived and handed me a vial of oil. 
The ER DR allowed Lester to have a blessing
before they tried to fit him, first into an ambulance
then into an airplane. While the flight DR talked to
Carmen and I, the EMT's were constantly pushing
Lester's toes back through the rear door of the ambulance. 
He was just not designed for normal trauma equipment!!!
The flight to Albuquerque had to take a roundabout
route due to large thunderstorms, but arrived
safely between 9:00pm and 10:00pm.
Les was taken to surgery and was out about 3:00am.
There was bleeding in the cranium and to allow 
for brain swelling, a piece of his skull was removed. 
About the size of Carmen's hand, and to insure it remained alive until it is replaced, it was put in his abdomen. 
It is now Thursday, 25th August, 7:30pm, and Les is out of NICU and in a room that is a step down from intensive care. The breathing tube was removed the first day. Before we left yesterday afternoon the DR had
all the children, Carmen and Emily come in Les' room and explained everything that had happened and even showed all the pictures of his brain, the areas affected and the whole nine yards. Answered any questions anyone had and impressed me by his knowledge, skill and caring attitude. Three very big hurrahs for UNM Nuro unit!!! One of the very best in the US.

I want all, especially our family, to know how impressed I am with Jesse's post on face book. Major kudos to you Jesse, and I advise everyone to never hang up or say goodbye to any other member of the family without saying how they feel about them. Please.


My intent was to add to this blog but have since learned of a better place to get updates.

Go to lesterroyjohnston.blogspot.com for the latest information on how he is doing.


The archive.
Les hasn't changed that much.

1 comment: